Townsville’s masters of musical fusion King Social will celebrate a huge year of achievements with their home-town crowd at their annual King’s Christmas event in Townsville tonight.
The festive-themed gig will be King Social’s first public performance in Townsville since last year’s King’s Christmas, with the band spending much of the year on the road to record, promote and tour their debut album In Colour.
Front man Angus Milne said it had been a huge year and the band was looking forward to celebrating with local fans and they have much to celebrate after the year that has been with some of the new notches on their belt including:
- #40 on ARIA Albums Chart
- #8 on ARIA Digital Albums Chart
- #6 on ARIA Australian Artist Albums Chart (also highest new entry)
- #2 on AIR Independent Albums Chart
- #1 on AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- #19 on iTunes Australia Chart
- #1 on iTunes Australia Hip-Hop Chart
- 2 singles reaching #1 on the Triple J Unearthed Chart
- Country-wide radio play (and some international play thrown in for good measure)
- An East Coast tour that took them from Darwin to Melbourne; and
- Some of the biggest gigs they’ve ever played
“It’s been unreal – we had full houses in Brisbane, Melbourne and Darwin; the biggest audience we’ve ever seen at Caloundra Music Festival; and some exciting bookings on the cards for next year already too,” Milne said.
“Townsville has been amazing to us over the years. We’ve had huge support from people since day one and there’s no way the album could have gone as well as it did without all those people backing us.
“King’s Christmas is always our favourite show of the year – the Townsville crowd knows what kind of energy we’re going to give them, and they give it back to us 10-fold.”
King Social will also play their first King’s Christmas gig outside of Townsville this year, with a King’s Christmas gig in Cairns on Sunday, 10 December.
“We had a great show up in Cairns earlier in the year and they were quick to invite us back again; so we figured why not do a Christmas Road Trip? Lime Cordiale – who are supporting us for the Townsville show – are also coming up for that one, so it should be a lot of fun,” said Milne.
The annual King’s Christmas gig will be held at Dalrymple Hotel on Friday, 8 December. Doors open 8pm and tickets are available online and at the door.