With the inaugural North Australian Festival of the Arts (NAFA) officially over, many punters will breathe a sad sigh of relief after working hard to maximise every single opportunity to take in more than 300 events over 32 days.
No doubt many artists and arts enthusiasts are ready for a short hibernation after that mammoth effort!
However, Council has today confirmed rumours that NAFA will return in 2020, with dates to be finalised soon.
More than 100,000 attended a range of events and ticketed shows across NAFA – not including Fringe events, Strand Ephemera and HALO, with final numbers still to be determined.
Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said the response to NAFA had been overwhelmingly positive.
“The North Australian Festival of Arts was an idea born and put together by Council and our staff and the feedback from the community has been incredible,” Cr Hill said.
“It was fantastic to visit some of our premier venues in Townsville and see so many happy faces attending the huge variety of shows on offer.
“It really shows that Townsville can host world-class events and get behind not just national and international acts, but also support the wonderful local talents we have right here in our city.”
Cr Hill said that the final weekend of HALO had also been a huge hit with residents and visitors packing into Queens Gardens.
“Tens of thousands of people gathered in the iconic Queens Gardens last weekend to get a glimpse of HALO before it finished on Sunday night.
“Council worked closely with AGB Events to create a show that would wow everyone in the city, and it exceeded all expectations.
“So much so that we’ve even had people requesting video footage all the way from London just so they can experience the magical light and sound show.”
To provide feedback on your experience of NAFA, visit: https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/nafa